If you are looking to become more Active, then Re-Active is for you.
Re-Active is Cheltenham Borough Council and NHS Gloucestershire's physical activity referral scheme. Whether used alone or alongside medication, physical activity has been shown to significantly reduce the effects of many medical conditions. Re-Active has been developed in order to help encourage those who would benefit from a programme of activity, providing the opportunity to do this in a supportive, empowering and effective environment.
The 12 week programme of physical activity is available by referral by a health professional, such as a GP or practice nurse, after consultation with a patient who meets with the programme's criteria. Other referral pathways include through:
- Gloucestershire NHS Physiotherapy Team- based at the St Pauls medical centre, they are specialists in Rehabilitation after chronic back pain.
- Gloucestershire Cystic Fibrosis Physiotherapy Team- specialists in dealing with adult Cystic Fibrosis patients
- ACL rehabilitation group-organised through the NHS Gloucestershire, they are a specialist group dealing with patients rehabilitating themselves after Anterior Cruciate Ligament injuries or operations.
Menu of activities
To encourage people to take part in this programme we have developed a menu of activities that people can choose from. We hope that by providing a wide range of exercise options, we are more likely to keep people interested in the programme and then encourage them to continue with this activity once the 12 weeks is complete.
The menu includes:
- Our community-based exercise classes - active lifestyles
- Walk Well health walks
- Leisure@cheltenham facilities including the gym, swimming pool, exercise classes and dry-side activities such as badminton and squash
For more information, please download the Re-Active leaflet.
Local health professionals
We are currently working with the following surgeries:
- Yorkleigh Surgery
- St George's Surgery
- Portland (incl. Hatherley Surgery)
- Royal Well Surgery
- St Catherine's Surgery
- Corinthians Surgery
- Royal Crescent Surgery
- Crescent Bakery Surgery
- Overton Park Surgery
- Underwood Surgery
- Berkeley Place Surgery
- Springbank Surgery
- Hatherley Surgery
- The Healthy Living Centre, Hesters Way
- Churchdown Surgery
- Severnposts Surgery
- Bishops Cleeve Surgery
If you are based at one of these surgeries and would like more information about this scheme, please speak to your GP or Practice Nurse.
If any health professionals from surgeries who we are not yet working with would like to join up to the Re-Active scheme, please contact the Healthy Lifestyles Development Officer or the Re-Active Co-ordinator.
If you are interested in signing up to our exercise referral scheme then please contact us.